Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Just a Little Patience

I am not a patient person; I never have been! It doesn't matter if it's a big surprise or a small thing...I don't want to wait. I realize that being impatient isn't a good trait in any situation (although, I think it can sometimes be a motivator!), but I can't help it. I am who I am.

My impatience spreads to my body image and workouts. I'm working so hard right now, at both my actual work outs and the balance between fitness and regular life. I'm paying attention to my diet and ensuring that I'm eating what I need to eat, having occasional treats and being healthy overall. This should be enough!

But it's not.

I want to look better NOW. I want to be in smaller clothes NOW. I want the number on the scale to be lower NOW.

In my rational moments, I know this isn't going to happen. I recognize that I will see results over time and that I should count other victories instead - like the 5K I did yesterday! I can even hear the advice in my head that I would give any girlfriend who complains to me about this very subject. Somehow, though, I can't follow the advice myself.

There have been so many articles and blog posts about why we shouldn't be so hard on ourselves. I don't have any new thoughts or advice. This is a day by day journey for all of us. I'm trying to focus on the things I'm doing each day that I didn't do before. I did that 5K yesterday. I went to yoga this morning. I've improved my diet. This is all good stuff!

You're probably beginning to see that I have no point. I have no way to end this post, except to say that I'm working on it. I'm trying to exercise patience. The same patience I will preach to my kids and friends. I will try to bask in my accomplishments and not worry about my supposed shortcomings. I will try.

Do you struggle with this? How do you handle it?

No comments:

Post a Comment